[vtk-developers] Patch for Xcode 1.5/carbon on midworld about scalbl().

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jul 18 09:50:34 EDT 2007

On 7/17/07 11:55 PM, Francois Bertel said:

>On midworld,
>I patched /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/
>CarbonCore.framework/Headers
>
>according to this message:
>
>http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2006-July/086017.html
>
>in order to fix the following error after reinstalling Xcode 1.5 on it:
>
>http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/midworld.kitware/DarwinG5-c++-carbon/
>20070717-0300-Nightly/BuildError.html

Hi François,

Thanks for updating midworld and keeping an eye on it!

Hacking system headers is not ideal. :)  It may break other software,
and it requires root access.  Perhaps there is a better way.  I compared
the 10.3 and 10.4 SDKs looking for 'scalb' and there are many insights.
The 10.4 SDK contains this nugget in wxPython_int.h:

#ifdef __WXMAC__  // avoid a bug in Carbon headers
#define scalb scalbn
#endif

I suggest we do the same, it is probably most correct, as it made it
into the 10.4 SDK.  Patch attached.  I can't test on 10.3, but I will
commit it anyway if no one objects.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com