[vtk-developers] TestSobel2D-image dashboard failures, anyone know anything about this?

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Mon Jul 9 00:29:38 EDT 2007

At 7/6/2007 07:59 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>I see a change to DICOMAppHelper.cxx
><http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/DICOMParser/DICOMAppHelper.cxx.diff?cvsroot=VTK&r1=1.25&r2=1.26>http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/DICOMParser/DICOMAppHelper.cxx.diff?cvsroot=VTK&r1=1.25&r2=1.26
>

>made by Sebastien. The change may cause PixelSpacing[0/1] to be set
>to 0.0. Seems like a better default would be to 1.0.

Well this is not a default value here, but an error one :) Hopefully
(I don't recall the code), the default value for the PixelSpacing
*is* already set to 1.0 somewhere when the object is constructed. If
sscanf() fails, it is set to 0.0 to conveys that there is something
wrong going on. I agree that it is definitely not a great way to
propagate any kind of error, but hey, at least it's not assigning the
same value to the X *and* Y pixel spacing anymore, which was a pretty
scary bug :)

Now to be honest I think the DICOM code in VTK should be yanked and
replaced with support for GDCM. The DICOM protocol is too complex and
too time consuming to be maintained in different libraries any
longer, and GDCM has been used in ITK (or internally at Kitware) with
good success so far, if I'm correct.