[vtk-developers] Re: MangledMesa & VTK

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jan 2 10:44:56 EST 2007

I haven't looked at/used mangled mesa in a while. I used to enable it
on all my builds for testing but eventually gave it up. As Brian
mentioned, having a separate mesa build is more practical. There are
two maintenance issues with mangled mesa: 1. mangling support in the
mesa library itself, 2. mangled mesa support in VTK. (2) is not too
much of a burden although as Randall found out, it is not being tested
(therefore it may be considered broken). (1) is more of a problem
since Mesa folks are not really interested in it and do not test
mangled mesa. The last time I tried, the latest mesa could not be
built mangled. I think there are some users of mangled mesa out there
but I am not sure how many. Jeff Lee may be one of them.

-berk

On 1/2/07, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the current use of this feature at Sandia is zero.  All of
> our distributions of ParaView use either a hardware driver or straight Mesa,
> not both.  As several other members of these lists have just testified, it's
> much easier.
>
> Concerning the maintenance overhead of maintaining the mangled Mesa stuff, I
> would rather have someone from Kitware speak to that since they are really
> the ones doing that.  I recall Berk grumbling about it in the past.  Perhaps
> he can elaborate.
>
> I also cannot speak for any other organizations that may be using
> VTK/ParaView.  If any of you out there use the vtkMesa* classes or otherwise
> compile with the mangled Mesa features, now would be a really good time to
> chime in.
>
> -Ken

 Berk Geveci
 Kitware Inc.