[vtk-developers] Extension to vtkParallelCoordinatesActor

Bhanu Chander Reddy ( bhanuchanderreddy@gmail.com ) bhanuchanderreddy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 06:27:37 EST 2007

Dear VTK Developers,
Recently i was working on rendering my multi-dimensional data using Parallel
Coordinates and i found that vtkParallelCoordinatesActor is designed for
this purpose. But i realized that this class doesnot support many of the
functions (or features) expected by Parallel Coordinates like brushing the
data (i.e. selecting only a range of values), reordering the axes ( for
multiple views of the same dataset ) or even removing the some of the
selected axes. Even the documentation page for this class states
"The early implementation lacks many features that could be added in the
future. This includes the ability to "brush" data (choose regions along an
axis and highlight any points/lines passing through the region); efficiency
is really bad; more control over the properties of the plot (separate
properties for each axes,title,etc.; and using the labels found in the field
to label each of the axes."
So i have modified the source code of the vtkParallelCoordinatesActor to
include these missing functionalities. The following are the features
currently added to the source code of this class
1) Brushing the data
2) Reordering the axes
3) Deleting selected axes
These functionalities are added by adding special functions into the source
code which will allow the user to incorporate these features into their
application. I have recompiled the VTK with the newer source code of this
class and it was successful. Even the new functions in the class are
tcl/java/python wrapped. All the functions in this new class are according
to the vtk coding standards as specified in
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Coding_Standards .
I would like to submit this code to the VTK so that it may be included in
the next release of VTK. I am interested in doing this because i feel that
the features added are very basic and compulsory for any implementation of
Parallel Coordinates.
It would be really helpful if somebody would tell me how to submit the code
to VTK for further analysis before inclusion into the VTK repository.

--
Regards,
Bhanu Chander Reddy Vanteru.