[vtk-developers] Geocoordinate System Filter, 2D Text Manager, 2D Text Preformance, and Buffered Hardware Picking

Philip Schuchardt ohc at vt.edu
Wed Dec 19 11:22:42 EST 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 10:13 am, Sean McBride wrote:
> On 12/18/07 4:18 PM, Philip Schuchardt said:
> >-- 2D Text Manager --
> >I've written a class that managers 3D anchored, 2D text actors.  It keeps
> >multiple text actors from overlapping each other.  It also support
> > Z-buffer checking, which keeps "hidden" 2D text actors from showing.
>
> By any chance, does your text code support Unicode or just ASCII?I'm using
vtkTextActor's which I believe are ASCII.  But vtk uses ftgl which,
I though, supports unicode.  I definitely, will be looking into this because
my program need so support multiple languages.

Both our problems are pipeline issues.  Unfortunately, they are unrelated.
Your problem is creating and caching 3D geometry.  Where as my problem (I
think), is to many glPixmap calls.  I think, my problem can be fixed putting
all the opengl calls into displaylist. This way, the calls are stored on the
graphics card, instead of sending them over CPU to GPU pipeline everytime a
frame is rendered.

Philip Schuchardt