[vtk-developers] FYI: Changes to VTK's Cocoa classes for garbage collection support

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Apr 2 15:55:18 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Mathieu and I have made a few changes to VTK's Cocoa classes.

The upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 provides optional garbage collection for
Objective-C.  This option naturally applies per-process, and so any app
that wants to use it needs all its libraries (ie VTK) to use it also.
VTK needs a few changes to support gc, and we have just checked in some
of the groundwork.  There are a few changes that we cannot check in
because some of the needed APIs are still under NDA.  But we are now in
a position that once 10.5 is released, VTK can be fixed very quickly.
The current code still works without gc of course.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com