[vtk-developers] Java build problem on Intel Macs

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Sep 19 15:10:41 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm looking at a problem with my nightly vtk build:

<http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/RogueResearchi386/MacOSXTiger-i386-
carbon/20060918-0300-Nightly/BuildWarning.html>

[ 98%] Building CXX object Wrapping/Java/CMakeFiles/
VTKJavaExecutable.dir/VTKJava.o
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/VTKJavaExecutable
/usr/bin/ld: for architecture i386
/usr/bin/ld: warning /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk//System/Library/
Frameworks/JavaEmbedding.framework/JavaEmbedding cputype (18,
architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag:
i386 (file not loaded)

I believe it's saying that I'm asking to link a ppc-only framework to an
i386 executable.  I have confirmed on several machines that
JavaEmbedding.framework is definitely ppc-only.

I know almost nothing about Java, but found this on Apple's site:

<http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Java/Java142RNTiger/
3_OutstandingIssues/chapter_4_section_4.html>

it says "The Java Embedding framework is deprecated in Mac OS X v10.4
and should no longer be used.  Carbon applications can use the Netscape
4.0 style plugin in Java Applet.plugin, found in /Library/Internet Plug-
Ins/. Cocoa applications should use the JavaPluginCocoa.bundle with the
Web Kit plugin interface available in Mac OS X v10.4."

Anyone know more on this topic?  Anyone building VTK with Java on an
Intel Mac (it seems mine is the only dashboard that does!)?  What does
vtk need JavaEmbedding.framework for?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com