[vtk-developers] Guidance needed fixing problems doing 64bit compile on Mac OS X

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Oct 26 13:09:49 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-26 13:00, David Gobbi said:

>As David Cole mentioned, basic types are preferred to ease integration
>with scripting languages.
>I really don't like to use types like ptrdiff_t as part of any VTK
>interface (internal or otherwise)
>because of this.

I'm glad I posted to this list, I keep forgetting about those wrappings! :)

>On UNIX/Linux (i.e. X) a long is sufficient, and the only other
>platforms we need to worry
>about are Mac and Windows.  So if long will work on Mac and Windows, it
>seems like the
>best choice.

Well, I'm no Windows expert, but a quick googling reveals:

<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bit_chklist.mspx>
"Pointers are 64 bits in length, but integer and long data types remain
32 bits."

I guess we could use 'long long'.  Although theoretically it needn't be
64 bits, I believe in practice it always is.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com