[vtk-developers] Guidance needed fixing problems doing 64bit compile on Mac OS X

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Oct 26 11:03:14 EDT 2006

Hi all,

In my spare time, I've been trying to do a 64bit build of vtk on my
Mac.  For the moment, things don't even compile.

One problem is converting pointer-sized variables to int-sized
variables, which is no good in the LP64 model because ints are still
only 32 bit, while pointers are 64.  For example:

int platformTimerId = (int)[[vtkCocoaTimer alloc] initWithInteractor:this];

In this case, the problem is the 'int' parameters of
vtkRenderWindowInteractor::InternalCreateTimer() and
vtkRenderWindowInteractor::InternalDestroyTimer().

So, in general (not just for this one bad cast), my questions are:

1) Is it acceptable to change these ints to something bigger?
2) If so, what type?  ptrdiff_t? void*?

For this particular bad cast, I think we should switch from 'int' to a
pointer-sized type because even in vt
kWin32RenderWindowInteractor::InternalCreateTimer() it calls the Win32
API SetTimer() which expects a UINT_PTR not an INT.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com