[vtk-developers] GLSL shader/shaderprogram etc

Gary J. Templet gjtempl at sandia.gov
Wed May 3 12:17:39 EDT 2006

Hi John,

As Ken pointed out, vtkShaderProgram and vtkShader were designed to be
agnostic as to the shader implementation. However, currently,
vtkShaderProgram::LoadExtension() does try to load GL extensions. Your
changes are a logical extension of the code as found in the repository.

Having said that, I think vtkShaderProgram::LoadExtension() should not
try to load GL extensions or any api-specific settings or extensions.
Instead, vtkShaderProgram::LoadExtensions would become a virtual or pure
virtual function to be implemented by descendants of vtkShaderProgram.

I'd prefer to see:
- GL-specific code in vtkShaderProgram::LoadExtensions()  moved to
vtkGLSLShaderProgram::LoadExtensions (vtkGLSLShaderProgram seem to be
the only class to call this anyway)
- your GL 1.4/1.5 code implemented as a descendant of
vtkGLSLShaderProgram, or in vtkGLSLShaderProgram directly.

Basically, vtkShaderProgram::LoadExtensions() is in the wrong class, IMHO.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Gary