[vtk-developers] ruby patch to vtk-5.0.0

Seiya Nishizawa seiya at kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 14 06:40:45 EST 2006

Hi David,

I changed some stuff, then you can run ruby examples without "make install".
I makd 'vtkruby' like 'vtkpython'.
It add paths of "LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH" and "VTK_BINARY_DIR@/Wrapping/Ruby"
to ruby's $LOAD_PATH.

Additionally,
I added Tk widget support.

Again,
the resouces are at
http://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/ruby/products/ruby-vtk/index.html

Cheers
Seiya

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:34:13 -0500
David Gobbi <dgobbi at atamai.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the information about installation.  Actually I have too many
> versions of VTK on
> my computer to do a "make install" of any one of them.  That is why I
> did a manual "ruby setup.rb".
>
> Afterwards, I copied all of the vtk .rb files from
> /usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8/ to ~/VTKbin/Wrapping/Ruby
> and set RUBYLIB to ~/VTKbin/Wrapping/Ruby:~/VTKbin/bin.
>
> It would be good if "cmake" creates all the .rb files that you need in
> ${VTK_BINARY_DIR}/Wrapping/Ruby so that it would be possible to run the
> ruby examples
> without doing a "make install" first.  In fact,  this will be necessary
> in order for VTK "make test"
> to work properly with ruby, because testing has to work before install.
> Or am I missing something?
> [...]
> >> To install on my Linux system I did the following, is this what you would recommend?
> >> 1) grabbed VTK-5-0 from CVS
> >> 2) cd VTK
> >> 3) patch -p1 < vtk-ruby-060306.patch
> >> 4) built VTK with cmake/make
> >> 5) cd Wrapping/Ruby
> >> 6) ruby setup.rb (as root)
> >> 7) installed the "narray-0.5.8" extension for ruby
> >> 8) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find the VTK "bin" directory
> >>
> > After built by make (4),
> > you can install them to your system by typing
> > "%make install",
> > which install vtk files to proper path under CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
> > and ruby files to ruby_site path (default).
> > If you specified
> > VTK_RUBY_LIB_DIR, VTK_RUBY_ARCH_DIR, and VTK_RUBY_SETUP_ARGS(--prefix="/hoge"),
> > *.rb files are installed to /hoge/VTK_RUBY_LIB_DIR,
> > and *.so files are to /hoge/VTK_RUBY_ARCH_DIR.
> [...]

Seiya Nishizawa
seiya at kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp
GnuPG Fingerprint = 0696 D312 5737 929A B481 FC91 44F4 6BA0 467A 7703