[vtk-developers] ruby patch to vtk-5.0.0

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Sun Mar 12 10:25:08 EST 2006

--- Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu_r at users.sf.net> wrote:

>     David> Hi Seiya, Wow!  This is amazing.  I downloaded the patch
>     David> and was up-and-running with VTK-ruby very fast.  It would
>     David> be very nice to see this become part of a future VTK
>     David> release.
>
> Haven't tried this but it does sound very cool.
>
>     David> 2) You took the "vtk" prefix off of the classes.  This does
>     David> not always work, because the "vtk3DSImporter" class becomes
>     David> "3DSImporter" if you remove the "vtk".  This leads to a
>     David> syntax error:
> [...]
>     David>    I think you need to leave the "vtk" prefix on the
>     David> classes to avoid this, even if it looks a bit ugly.
>
> Instead of doing that he could also convert 3DSImporter to
> ThreeDSImporter.  There are only a few (one?) classes that have this
> problem so the benefit of not having to type Vtk::vtkFoo seems well
> worth it.

Yes, I think you're right about this.  Also, I'm no ruby expert, but
I did a bit of reading and another issue here is that all ruby classes
are supposed to start with a capital letter. Vtk::VtkFoo is just wrong!

I'd kind of like to see vtk3DSImporter renamed to vtkThreeDStudioImporter,
and not just for ruby's sake.

There is also a "vtk3DWidget" which is an important base class.  I'm
sure if Kitware would agree to renaming that one, so your solution of
having the wrapper do the renaming would have to be applied.

 - David