[vtk-developers] Visual Studio 8 "insecure method" warnings

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Thu Feb 16 11:02:13 EST 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:

>At 10:30 AM 2/16/2006, David Gobbi wrote:
>

>>Hi Bill,
>>
>>Thanks, I can add this to the VTK CMakeLists as well.  That way only cleaning
>>up the header files will be necessary.  The place we are seeing the warnings is
>>in IGSTK, for which we have a policy of not disabling any valid warnings.
>>

>IMO, these are not valid warnings.  Basically, the warnings mean stop using
>the ANSI "C" language because it is unsafe.  So, unless you are willing to say
>that IGSTK is no longer going to use ANSI C, the warnings are not valid.

That's pretty much what it boils down to.  For IGSTK the concern is that
even valid code
is not always safe code, and there is a strong push away from C arrays
and the C standard
library to the STL.

For a C programmer like myself the IGSTK code looks overly verbose, but
I've gradually
come to understand the reasoning behind it.

 - David