[vtk-developers] PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Wed Feb 15 12:46:41 EST 2006

Hi

Can you guys eventually clarify what PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY is for ?
Here is the Wrapping/Python/CMakeLists.txt file:

FIND_LIBRARY(PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY
   NAMES util
   PATHS /usr/lib
   DOC "Utility library needed for vtkpython"
)
MARK_AS_ADVANCED(PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY)
IF(PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY)
   SET(PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY_LIB ${PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY})
ENDIF(PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY)

Apparently if the library is found, it is used to link vtkpython
against it. If it is not found, well, apparently it does not hurt.

My problem is that using Visual C++ 6.0, the Python util library is
found in the wrong place... in the compiler libs themselves (with a
library name like that, that was bound to happen):
PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=c:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual
Studio/VC98/Lib/UTIL.LIB
Why is it found there, I have no clue.

Then the whole Python framework fails to build:
Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "c:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Lib\UTIL.LIB.lib"
Error executing link.exe.
Ooops.

I can set PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY manually, but still, I'm curious...

Sebastien Barre