[vtk-developers] vtkStringArray and vtkImageReader

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Tue Feb 7 09:58:14 EST 2006

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> David Gobbi wrote:
>
>> The generic solution is to add a "vtkFileNameGenerator", similar to
>> the way ITK does things.  For
>> VTK I would build the different kinds of file name generation
>> (wildcard, numbered series,
>> archetype) into one single class rather than create a class
>> hierarchy.  There would eventually be
>> a vtkDICOMFileNameGenerator specifically for handling DICOM series.
>

> I would rather see an ITK like approach, it has proven to be very
> customizable in particular for the DICOM case as you mention.

When I looked at how ITK does things, I saw that ITK's set of
"SeriesFileNames" classes do not fit into a heirarchy.  The
GDCMSeriesFileNames, ArchetypeSeriesFileNames,
RegularExpressionSeriesFileNames, etc. are all derived directly from
itk::Object, it seems that there should be a base class.

None of the ITK classes seems to have to feature I want most: to be able
to generate a list of file names based on the "*?[][^]" set of
wildcards. Regular expressions are a bit too advanced for most of my users.

Maybe I'm trying to bite off more than I can chew.  Instead of writing a
set of file name generators, I could just add a method to vtkDirectory
so that it will filter the list of files according to a wildcard string,
something like vtkDirectory::SetWildcardString("*.png").

 - David