[vtk-developers] vtkStringArray and vtkImageReader

Lorensen, William E (GE, Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Fri Feb 3 10:26:26 EST 2006

David,

This is an excellent idea. We do this in itk. The file name generation is actually separate from the series readers. We always pass in lists of strings. Then we have series filenames generators. Looks like you could do this an still maintain the current API.

In itk we have:
NumericSeriesFileNames
RegularExpressionFileNames
Dicom(GDCM)SeriesFileNames
and
ArchetypeSeriesFileNames

The latter is particularly cool. You give it one file name from a set of filenames and it generates the set of names.

Actually, the itk I/O mechanism itself is very different in itk. itk uses an IO Factory that discovers which file specific reader to use. Also, we separate series reading from image reading. The series reader invokes an image reader for each file. We do not have to decide which reader to use with which filename, the factory does that.

Bill