[vtk-developers] Passive stereo visualization with legacy graphics card

Valeria Gallo g_luigi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Dec 4 11:36:28 EST 2006

Hi, i work in a research center in Italy.

Here I'm trying to generate 3d models of human parts that can be viewed in
stereoscopy (SIDE-BY-SIDE stereo - passive stereo based on polarization)
using only the VTK libraries.

Our hardware configuration is very similar to the Geowall system: 2
projectors with polarized lens (linear) - polarized glasses.

I've read that with vtk, to generate two different scenes, I have to use the
CrystalEyes stereo mode, but I will need a graphics card like the Nvidia
Quadro (quad buffered + clone mode) to split the two different views on the
two projectors (with a refresh rate > 100 Hz). But my card is a WildCat II
5110, and this model doesn't support the quad buffered mode and the clone
mode, the max available refresh rate is 90 Hz; it supports only the
double-wide screen.

Is there a way to configure vtk to generate the two render windows on the
two projectors connected to the card?

I need a double-wide render window where in a half there is the left eye
view and in the other half there is the right eye view.

Or have I to manually extend the vtkRenderWindow class to support a
side-by-side stereo (manually managing the two different views)?

I hope someone could address me to the correct solution.

Thx in advance

Valeria