[vtk-developers] RE: VTK Widgets redesign

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Mon Sep 5 10:25:50 EDT 2005

    Will> Hi Andrew- At 09:45 PM 9/1/2005, Andrew Maclean wrote:

    >> 1) I think mediation is going to be a major problem in the
    >>    future. I foresee

    Will> You are absolutely right. Unless we limit the number of
    Will> widgets to one at a time, this is a big problem if we are
    Will> going to create professional apps. Having said that, I am

Just a thought (perhaps totally useless!).  Doesn't one have the same
problem with a "window manager"?  You have several windows (including
a root window) and need to interact with all of them easily.  The
solution is managing the current window's "focus".  This is usually
done using either a simple "switch focus key" (that has a global
binding) or a "task bar" or a "window list".  Then you can have
sloppy-focus, click-to-focus etc.  Can't we simply use the same idea
for the currently active widget?

cheers,
prabhu