[vtk-developers] RE: VTK Widgets redesign

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Thu Sep 1 21:45:52 EDT 2005

Hi Will,
I have had a play with the widgets and I think the design looks quite good;
however, I have a little concern with some of the issues mentioned:

1) I think mediation is going to be a major problem in the future. I foresee
lots of widgets operating together and I think that there needs to be some
mechanism to provide a set of rules for their interaction. Whilst I
appreciate that there is no funding at present, perhaps in the interim, a
simple abstract mediator class could be introduced at this stage to be
filled out later. I guess I have a concern in that routing messages to/from
the selected widget needs to take into account intervening/overlapping
widgets. So there needs to be some knowledge of what widgets have been
instantiated. Perhaps the mediator class tracks this. Anyway it is just a
thought.

2) Regarding the API between the widget and its representation - I can't see
a more general way of doing this.

Regards
 Andrew