[vtk-developers] extension wrangler

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Tue Nov 15 16:26:30 EST 2005

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

> The dlopen technique was dissabled because it was proving to be
> unreliable.  Some of VTK's dashboard tests were continually failing
> because VTK was being compiled against one OpenGL library (which
> happened to be static) and the dlopen was openening a shared object
> library elsewhere.  Thus, it would look like the extension was loaded
> correctly, but the application would crash if you tried to use any of
> the functions.
>
> What if the dlopen method were only enabled when vtk is built shared?  I
> saw that vtkOpenGLExtensionManagerConfigure.h that does
> #define OPENGL_LIBRARIES
> "/usr/lib/libGL.so;-lSM;-lICE;-lSM;-lICE;/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so;/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so;/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so;/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so"
>
> If you do dlopen with a null in the first argument, the loader will
> search the libpath (you don't really need to specify).
uhh, wrong.  I meant just pass the lib without the path and the loader
should search the application libpath...
Is this the kind
> of behavior we should support?  Are there cases when this approach
> yields undesirable results?  This appears to be what glew does.
> Regards,
> -J

> Ultimately we could not figure out a way to ensure that the dlopen
> tried to open the same library that was already being used. (The
> problem gets more compilicated when you compile on one machine and run
> on another.) If someone could solve this problem, then the dlopen
> method would work just fine.
>
> -Ken

Jeff Lee
Senior Software Engineer
Computational Dynamics North America Ltd
21 Lafayette Street, Suite 230
Lebanon NH 03766 USA
fax:   603 643 9994
phone: 603 643 9993 x109