[vtk-developers] Upgrading VTK to 64-bit ImageData Increments

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Mon May 16 17:12:11 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Back in January I mentioned my intent to change the image data Increments
from "int" to "vtkIdType".  My previous post and its associated thread
is here:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2005-January/003096.html
The purpose of the change is to make it possible for VTK to use 64-bit
indexing
for images, and hence process images that are larger than 2GB in size.

Well, I finally found the time to do the changes, and would like to
commit them
within a week or two.

So my question is: if I change vtkImageData::GetIncrements() to use
vtkIdType,
what code outside of VTK is likely to break?  I'll be testing against
ParaView
and ITK, but are there any other packages that might call GetIncrements()?

Specifically, the following methods will be impacted:
void vtkImageData::GetIncrements(vtkIdType increments[3]);
void vtkImageData::GetIncrements(vtkIdType &incX, vtkIdType &incY,
vtkIdType &incZ);
vtkIdType *vtkImageData:GetIncrements()

Note that the only people who are going to suffer backwards
compatibility problems
people that use custom imaging filters and compile with
VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS on.

 - David