[vtk-developers] Interest in a vtkColor class?

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Sun Mar 20 17:31:51 EST 2005

Hi All,

Is there any interest in a vtkColor class?

If so I would be happy to write one.

I envisage using the colour names in colors.tcl and having a function like:
GetColor("red"); returning a float[3]. Most likely I would use a map as the
underlying structure so that we could have a function like
InsertColor(name,r,g,b); Thus users could add to the existing colour table.

I just find it frustrating that when using TCL I can easily specify a colour
but I can't do this in C++.

It would be nice to have something like:
actor->GetProperty()->SetColor(color->GetColor("antique_white"));

Of course local defines could be used but I think having a colour class
along with the ability to add more colours as you want may be a better
solution. I also want to keep the well known colour names without decorating
them, hence the syntax above.

Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems