[vtk-developers] GLXPixmap vs OSMesa

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Thu Mar 10 17:49:14 EST 2005

Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>I like the idea of the UseOffScreenRendering flag working without Mesa.
>However, we also often use Mesa builds on clusters that do not have an X
>host running.  I think using GLXPixmap still requires a connection to an
>X host.  Thus if you stripped out the Mesa stuff, our applications may
>cease to work.  Could you implement this such that if you build with
>Mesa you use Mesa offscreen rendering and otherwise use a GLXPixmap?

Hi Kenneth,
I was under the impression that mesa has its own glx implementation -
fakeglx.  I could be wrong, but I think it just turns everything into
X.  I was hoping that if an application uses mesa, the fakeglx
implementation of glxPixmap would just work (mapping down to Pixmap).  I
think pbuffers will work the same way.  Does this make sense?  If not,
mabey someone could straighten me out on this.
Jeff