[vtk-developers] GUISupport growth?

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Mon Mar 7 14:09:40 EST 2005

------------------------------

> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:29:36 +0100
> From: Michael Dussere <dussere at labri.fr>
> Subject: [vtkusers] why vtkEventQtSlotConnect is not included in QVTK
> 	library from VTK's CVS
> To: vtkusers at vtk.org
>
> Hi,
> I'm using the QVTKWidget from the CVS-version library QVTK. I found in
> the example GUI/Qt/Events there are two classes (vtkEventQtSlotConnect
> and vtkQtConnection) for mixing the events of Qt and VTK (coming from
> Sandia like QVTKWidget). I wonder why the two classes have not been
>inserted directly in the QVTK library, it would be great.
>
> Does anybody has the explanation ? Is there some problem with the
> classes ? or is it just because they don't satisfy VTK coding standards
> yet ?
> Will these classes be inserted in QVTK soon ?
>
> Michael

So there's this class in the examples which connects any VTK event to
any Qt slot.
For example, you can connect a Qt progress bar to a Vtk pipeline.
How far do we open the doors for other code in GUISupport/Qt?
Right now, all that is in there is for putting a VTK window in a Qt widget.
If we let this class in, then that pretty much opens the doors wide for
any other useful class.
I'm not sure we want to do that.  Do we let this in, and say that only
"bridges" between Qt and VTK are allowed?  This vtkEventQtSlotConnect
class is a "bridge".  QVTKWidget can also be considered a bridge.

Thanks,
Clint