[vtk-developers] Performance tuning

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Jun 29 16:38:28 EDT 2005

> >>I just had a try... it is much better, but I'd like to see more
> >>improvement.
> >>For my test case, vtk 4.2 can do about 32 frames a second, and vtk cvs
> >>will now do about 3 frames a second.
> >>

> >And what was it prior to this change?
> >
> I was getting about 1/2 frame per second.

So about a 6X improvement with this round. Well my cup is half full :-)
We'll see how it looks with the next round of performance improvements. In
the long run I am probably going to add an ActorIsStatic type of ivar that
user's can set in this situation what will yield huge performance
improvements. This was something people wanted even in VTK 4.4 because if
the actors truly are static the top render rate has always been pipeline
limited for large numbers of actors with low poly count. Having said that, I
still want to tune the pipeline first to see where we stand.

Thanks
Ken