[vtk-developers] Wrappers and signed char

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Jul 22 14:56:11 EDT 2005

    Ken> You can wrap VTK with SWIG using Cable (a C++ wrapper based
    Ken> on GCC and SWIG) This is how we wrap ITK. Having said that
    Ken> I'm not sure if VTK would wrap to your satisfaction without
    Ken> some additional customization. Stock SWIG isn't going to cut
    Ken> it.

Well, SWIG has come a long way.  I think that at this time it supports
enough of C++ to comfortably wrap VTK (may not be ITK but surely VTK).
The only big problems I could think of would be getting the reference
counting done "right".  However, the current VTK wrappers are good and
work well.  So, it isn't broke, why fix it?  However, SWIG-VTK would
probably make for an interesting and fun summer project.

cheers,
prabhu