[vtk-developers] NetCDF and Exodus in VTK

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Thu Jul 21 09:58:51 EDT 2005

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you progress report on the Exodus reader in VTK.

Exodus is a file format used by Sandia National Lab and some other
sites. It is based on NetCDF, so as a side effect there is a NetCDF
library in vtk. It is called vtkNetCDF and is properly mangled, so you
should not have problem if you use your own library.

The Exodus library is also in VTK. The final step is to move the VTK
readers.

As far as the API goes, there will be no changes to existing VTK. The
reader will go to the Hybrid kit because it requires some classes from
IO and Graphics.

At this point I would also want to apologize for dashboard being red and
yellow. Unfortunately the CMake lists files for NetCDF, and Exodus were
not previously tested on broad architecture spectrum.

Sometimes today, I will commit the VTK classes, so there may be some
more build problems, but they should be fixed by tomorrow.

Thank you.

--
Andy Cedilnik
Kitware Inc.