[vtk-developers] Rendering PolyData with shadows

Tim Peeters T.Peeters at tue.nl
Mon Jul 11 09:15:25 EDT 2005

Hi,

In March and April of 2003 there was some talk in this mailing list
about a vtkShadowRenderer class, which was supposed to work (from the
outside) just like a vtkRenderer, but objects cast shadows on each other
by implementing shadow mapping. From the messages it seemed that the
class was more or less finished and it would be submitted for inclusion
in VTK soon. But after a message on April 1st (it didn't look like an
April fools joke ;)) I can't find any information about it. Also, this
class (or other shadowing-related classes) have not been included in VTK
and I cannot find information about this vtkShadowRenderer on the web.

Does anybody know what happened to this class or is somebody working on
the casting of shadows of objects in VTK? I am currently working on the
rendering of datasets with a lot of lines and casting of shadows could
help there to improve the visual appearance of, and the insight into the
structure of the lines. So if somebody already did work on this I don't
have to implement it from scratch myself.

Thanks,
Tim.