[vtk-developers] vtkExecutive::GetInputData: error message necessary?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Tue Jul 5 15:57:43 EDT 2005

Hi,

I just noticed that doing something like this:

>>> import vtk
>>> w = vtk.vtkWarpScalar()
>>> w.GetInput()
ERROR: In /skratch/prabhu/vtk/cvs/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 478
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x824b198): Attempt to get input data for connection index 0 on input port 0 of algorithm vtkWarpScalar(0x824b248), which has 0 connections.

The method returns None as before (VTK-4.4).  The warning seems
unnecessary to me.  There are a bunch of other methods which do not
produce such a message and therefore the message is also inconsistent
with what other methods do.  For example:

>>> vtk.vtkPolyDataMapper().GetInput()
>>> vtk.vtkGlyph3D().GetInput()
>>> vtk.vtkGlyph3D().GetSource(0)

which all do not produce any error messages.  I would therefore think
that the error message is unnecessary and just an irritant.  Can this
error message be removed?

cheers,
prabhu