[vtk-developers] Deprecation questions

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 09:49:53 EDT 2005

The functionality of distributing  pipeline over multiple hosts is
still there, as in data parallel pipeline. We actually have multiple
applications that rely on this functionality.
The ports are tricky because they pass pipeline passes across network.
This is the functionality I am trying to get rid of because:
* It is not commonly used
* It is not tested well (and will not be unless someone else creates
better tests)
* It has bugs

Without ports, it will still be possible to:
* Create data parallel pipelines
* Send datasets between machines
* Use the parallel filters in VTK and ParaView

Pipeline parallelism, although an interesting research topic, is not
scalable and hard to program.
Also, a lot of the client/server functionality are now in ParaView's
ServerManager library. This library allows people to write
client/server applications and manages creating pipelines on the
server, configuring the pipeline and sending data back and forth
(mostly for local rendering on the client, probing etc). It has A LOT
of things that hide the complexity of parallel processing and
rendering,
With all of this, I think the input/output ports are pretty much
redundant. Granted, your application will no longer compile but it
might be better to switch to a better developed, tested and supported
architecture.

What do you think?

-Berk