[vtk-developers] build errors with libvtkCommon.so.4.5

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Aug 19 18:34:50 EDT 2005

tom fogal wrote:
>  <430640D4.4070000 at kitware.com>Brad King writes:
>>You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the vtk-build/bin directory
>>if VTK_USE_RPATH is OFF.
>
> I assume you mean "ON" here, because I've just installed (see below)
> without setting this environment variable.

I mean OFF.  Certain build options (like Python wrapping) run some of
the generated VTK executables out of the build tree during the build
process.  These will not be able to run unless they can find their
shared libraries.  Without an rpath this will not work without setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You also need to set it to run any of the examples or
tests from the build tree.

> I didn't explain this properly; the reason I wrote the original mail
> was because the following did not work:
>
> $ mkdir cvs_build_vtk
> $ cd cvs_build_vtk
> $ ccmake ../VTK
>   # setup; note VTK_USE_RPATH is ON
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
>   # bang head against wall for being dumb about VTK_USE_RPATH
> $ ccmake ../VTK
>   # set VTK_USE_RPATH to OFF
> $ rm bin/*
> $ make
> $ sudo make install
>
> The second 'sudo make install' still failed with the same error.

I just tried this example from scratch and the second install works.  A
change I made last week might have affected it though so please make
sure it works if you update to the latest CVS version.

-Brad