[vtk-developers] Fixing VTK Python Installation

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Aug 13 05:33:21 EDT 2005

    Brad> Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
    >> Thanks for letting me know.  Can I go ahead change the
    >> CMake/KitCommonBlock.cmake to use the Apple approach for
    >> Python?

    Brad> Yes.

I just checked in the changes for this and am getting dllexport
related errors on the Win32 VC builds.

 http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/dash13.kitware/Win32-vs60/20050813-0300-Nightly/BuildWarning.html

 http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/dash12.kitware/Win32-vs70/20050813-0300-Nightly/BuildWarning.html

I thought the function defintions in vtkPythonUtil.h are all exported
via VTK_PYTHON_EXPORT?  Do I need to sprinkle VTK_PYTHON_EXPORT for
all the functions with the warnings?

    >> I will be in and out the next couple of weeks so will need a
    >> dashboard buddy but can check in the changes.

    Brad> I volunteer for this role.

Many thanks!  I will be out of town next week and will be back on
18th.

    >> Well, setup.py is useful to create a Python installer::

    Brad> Okay.  Providing such a setup.py in the build tree seems
    Brad> like a good idea.

Hopefully later today I'll check in a fixed setup.py.in and a
README.txt.

cheers,
prabhu