[vtk-developers] VTK 5.0 Release status

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Aug 12 14:32:30 EDT 2005

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>but why does one need to check for rendering and
>display?  Should not these be checked up-front in
>Testing/CMakeLists.txt?

There are many tests in each VTK Kit that can run successfully even when
VTK_USE_RENDERING is off or when VTK_USE_DISPLAY is off. It is most
appropriately decided at the individual test level.

If your test requires the Rendering kit, then it should somehow be
enclosed in a CMake IF(VTK_USE_RENDERING) block. If it pops up a window
then it should be enclosed in a CMake IF(VTK_USE_DISPLAY) block. If
both, then both...

(On the other hand, we won't even get into the Widgets subdirectory at
all if VTK_USE_RENDERING is off, so it might be ok to leave that check
out of CMakeLists.txt files in the Widgets subdirectory.)

You still need the VTK_USE_DISPLAY and VTK_DATA_ROOT tests, though.

Thanks for your contributions,
David