[vtk-developers] VTK Python and Tk [was: VTK Python Installation]

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Fri Aug 12 14:28:13 EDT 2005

    >> Seems to me like the FIND_PATH should be after the
    >> VTK_INCLUDE_TCL_TK_MODULES

    Brad> I've committed this change.

Thanks!

    >> - or that (as has been suggested I think) a
    >> VTK_WRAP_PYTHON build of VTK should not be dependent on Tk if
    >> at all possible...

    Brad> The vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets library needs Tk but it
    Brad> provides some nice tkinter helpers.  I agree this should not
    Brad> be required though.  We should add an option like
    Brad> "VTK_USE_PYTHON_TK" to select whether the Tk-dependent parts
    Brad> are provided.  It would have to default to ON to preserve
    Brad> behavior.

    Brad> Any suggestions for a better name or another approach?

We could build the tk widgets if the right Tcl/Tk paths are set and
not present another option.  However, this will lead to problems with
users not knowing that they even need to set the Tk paths.  OTOH,
adding another option adds another option to choose from but makes it
explicit.  I'll err on the side of "explicit is better than implicit".
So I'll vote for a VTK_BUILD_PYTHON_TK_WIDGETS option.

Thanks!

cheers,
prabhu