[vtk-developers] Class Event Observers

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Wed Aug 10 12:19:06 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I'd appreciate any thoughts people may have on a proposal for
class/global event observers.

One way I thought of implementing this is to add a static member pointer
to each class, pointing to the first class observer. Something like:

static vtkObserver *GlobalStart;

and having a new method:

vtkObject::AddClassObserver(unsigned long event, vtkCommand *, float
priority = 0.0, const char *class)

where "const char *class" is the class getting the new class observer.
Maybe, this should be a pointer to "this" or something else.

Perhaps, this could easily be put in to one of the macros.

Anyone done this, know an existing way or foresee any problems I'm going
to hit?

Thanks,

Goodwin