[vtk-developers] Re: VTK Python Installation [was: VTK 5.0 branch in mid-August]

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Wed Aug 3 01:45:32 EDT 2005

    >>> From what I have tested with my current build, the os.chdir()
    >>> trick
    >> will work only if '.' is in the rpath.  If not, when you import
    >> libvtkRenderingPython.so it will not be able to find the other
    >> libvtk*Python.so's that it links to.
    >>
    David> If there was a way to use rpath to force python modules to
    David> search for .so files in their own directory, then that
    David> would be fine.  But as far as I know, rpath with relative
    David> paths doesn't work this way, and using a chdir trick just
    David> doesn't seem right.  However, if it works, it is worth
    David> considering unless it is known to cause other things to
    David> break.

AFAICT, and according to my tests under Linux (Debian sarge, i386),
setting '.' in the rpath allows the Python modules to search for
others in the current directory.  However, I have no idea if this is
Linux specific or not.  Maybe Brad will be able to clarify?

If this does work on all unices then the chdir trick is a possibility,
although I still think the Apple solution is cleaner.

cheers,
prabhu