[vtk-developers] Particle reader

Andrew Maclean a.maclean at cas.edu.au
Sat Apr 23 22:57:44 EDT 2005

A lot of us have particle data e.g ASCII files of data in the form x,y,x,v
where v is some scalar value.

This arises when you output data from sources that can't generate the vtk
formats. For example Matlab and our own sources such as radar and GPS data.

So do you think it would be a good idea to add a simple particle reader for
ASCII data to VTK? I also think this would be useful in ParaView.

If so, what would be a suitable name? (I am thinking of
vtkParticleReaderText ). Perhaps someone working at VTK should suggest a
name.

If someone wants to critique and test the above class I will be perfectly
happy to contribute it. I'll add some documentation etc.

Things to note:
1) I am using vtkSmartPointer. This seems to work nicely.
2) I am using sstream and algorithm in the implementation files (*.cxx).
Will 2) in particular cause any problems in VTK?

Andrew