[vtk-developers] Bad receive in vtkSocketCommunicator on Win32

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Apr 13 15:42:02 EDT 2005

I've noticed a problem with vtkSocketCommunicator on windows.  When
receiving a large message that should otherwise succeed (tags and
lengths match up, buffer properly allocated), the recv function still
sometimes fails.  Checking the error returned from WSAGetLastError()
reveals the error WSAENOBUFS (apparently some sort of resource
allocation problem).

I discovered that when I get this error, if I simply retry the recv, it
will eventually work (at least in my case).  Should I patch
vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx to always do this on windows?

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov