[vtk-developers] New pipeline & performance

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Oct 13 16:07:16 EDT 2004

> I have observed with two of the tests
> I submitted, try to keep track of and threfore
> maintain, a serious performance hit after
> pipeline changes committed Monday October 11.
> The time to execute TestSplineWidget and
> TestImageTracerWidget now run up to 5x slower.
> Running the equivalent tcl scripts as they
> appear in Examples/GUI/Tcl shows the same perf. hit
> as reduced interactivity, presumably due to
> vtkSplineWidget (try ProbeWithSplineWidget.tcl
> and ImageTracerWidget.tcl).
>
> Questions:
> 1) is there currently (if not, could there be) a
> way to track execution time histories for nightly
> dashboards?

The paraview dashboard shows the total elapsed time for the tests so we use
that to look at how much of a hit the total takes when committing a big
change. A better approach would be nice.

> 2) how should performance issues be addressed?

Well it would be super nice if you could poit us to the specific problem
section of code. But pointing us to a spcific slow example is still a big
help. We haven't looked at specific performance issues yet since we are
still changing some significant sections of code, but we should be getting
to them soon.

> In regard to 1), if the ongoing pipeline changes
> manage eventually to rectify the problem, it would
> be helpful to know when.

I'll try to send out an update now and then to let folks know where the
changes stand. If I forget feel free to remind me :-)

Thanks
Ken