[vtk-developers] The New Pipeline

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Oct 8 14:58:50 EDT 2004

Well the new pipeline (as the only pipeline) has been checked in for a
little over a week now and it seems to be working OK. I would still suggest
holding off on moving to the new VTK CVS (or at least hold off on converting
your filters to subclass directly off of the new pipeline) if you want to
minimize your pain although you certainly can if you want to. We are still
cleaning up some aspects of the new pipeline and adjusting it some as we
push it to handle new tasks such as AMR data sets and field requests. We are
also converting over the remaining filters to subclass off of the new
pipeline. As we do this we may bump into issues that we can clean up. If you
find a need to write code that works with multiple versions of VTK and for
some reason you cannot get it to work with both the old a new pipelines then
you can make use of:

#ifdef VTK_USE_EXECUTIVES

  New pipeline stuff

#else

  Old pipeline stuff

#endif

VTK 5.0 will still be a couple months off so that the new pipeline has some
time to mature etc.

Thanks

Ken