[vtk-developers] vtkGtkRenderWindowInteractor for gtk+ support

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at weizmann.ac.il
Thu Oct 7 15:52:10 EDT 2004

Hello,

I thought you might be interested to know that I have started working on
creating support for using the popular gtk+ toolkit (see www.gtk.org)
together with vtk. Meanwhile I am doing the development under Linux but
once I get it working I hope to get it working under Windows as well.

So far I have modified the class vtkXRenderWindowInteractor and erased
all Xt and X calls with corresponding gdk and gtk calls. It is still far
from working, and I'm trying to learn more about both X and and vtk as
I'm solving one problem at a time.

Once I have it working I will rename the class to
vtkGtkRenderWindowInteractor. But I am wondering how this class
may be used? Today a user just defines a vtkRenderWindowInteractor
and it is dispatched to either a vtkXRenderWindowInteractor or
vtkWin32WindowInteractor depending on the platform. How may a the
GtkInteractor be chosen? Is it possible to just define a
vtkGtkRenderWindowInteractor instead of defining a
vtkRenderWindowInteractor? I.e. does the generic interactor do anything
more than just select the platform specific interactor?

Regards,
Dov Grobgeld