[vtk-developers] Unicode support for text annotations

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 24 16:29:45 EST 2004

Hi,

	I've filed a feature request for Unicode text support in ParaView (but
it would require changing VTK), because I want to include Greek
characters (like rho) along with Roman text (like "Density") in text
annotations in ParaView. I hacked a symbol font in the
vtkEmbeddedFonts.h file, but I really want to be able to have both Greek
and Roman characters together. It seems like the easiest way to
accomplish this is to support Unicode strings in the VTK text mapper
classes. It appears that ftgl supports Unicode, so it might not be that
involved to add support in vtkTextMapper & vtkOpenGLFreeTypeTextMapper.
Does anyone have objections or suggestions on how to go about this?

		Thanks,
		David