[vtk-developers] RFC: PATCH for exception handling in vtkWrapPython.c

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Mon Mar 1 16:44:18 EST 2004

Hello there Mathieu,

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> I agree with Prabhu, could you please add an entry for CMake so that you
> can decide wether you want to use or not. I am really afraid that is
> will slow down everything. And I know people developping entire app in
> python.

Why do you think I'm implementing this?  I have quite an extensive
development platform with VTK and ITK integration, all implemented in
Python.  Having the application crash at the slightest ITK hiccup is
quite irritating. :)

There will also be little or no performance impact, except perhaps for
calls like GetScalarTupleAsDouble() which are in some cases called quite
often from Python.  Otherwise, we're talking about a single try-catch
clause around an Update() statement that causes seconds (or minutes) of
processing through the whole combined pipeline.  The difference won't
even be measurable.

That being said, I absolutely agree that it should be made conditional.
  I'll make a new patch and a patch for the top-level CMakeLists.txt.

If you have any comments about the cross-platform use of std::exception,
I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Charl