[vtk-developers] RFC: PATCH for exception handling in vtkWrapPython.c

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Mar 1 09:40:41 EST 2004

[snip]
    CPB> This happens because there is no exception handling in the
    CPB> VTK Python wrappings.
[...]
    CPB> Please check and comment on the attached patch.  My only
    CPB> remaning problem is the "#include <exception>" I had to add
    CPB> to all Python wrapped code.  If anyone could give any advice
    CPB> about the portability of the <exception> include on all
    CPB> platforms that VTK builds on, I would be grateful.

    CPB> I would like to apply this patch at some stage.  It could
    CPB> obviously also be made conditional.

Yes, it would be nice to have this functionality.  Exceptions in VTK
would also be nice but I am not sure if the other members want to go
down that path.  Anyway, I don't mind the changes and like you am not
sure about cross-platform compatibility.  Perhaps you can add a few
#ifdefs and make it a CMake option so folks can choose it at their own
risk?  That might also let you test it out quietly on the dashboards
and get some hard data on the compatibility issue.

cheers,
prabhu