[vtk-developers] Const correctness for string methods

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Mon Jan 19 18:21:23 EST 2004

John Biddiscombe wrote:

> JB
> Exception handling ranks alongside float->double from my point of view
> though. it is needed.

Just my 2c from my little wrapping cocoon:
Exception handling in VTK would make mixed VTK/ITK pipelines behave
better as well.  At the moment, if a pipeline that ends in a VTK class
is updated from Python (by Update()ing the VTK instance at the end) and
ITK throws an exception somewhere earlier in the pipeline, that
exception is not caught and the application unceremoniously terminates.

To work around this, you have to call Update() on the last ITK endpoint
before calling Update() on the VTK endpoint, but if VTK threw, caught
and handled exceptions similarly to ITK, this would not be necessary.
You would be able to handle mixed pipelines just like you handle a pure
VTK or pure ITK pipeline.

Thanks,
Charl