[vtk-developers] Const correctness for string methods

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 14:05:51 EST 2004

> all along the chain. If I remember that behaviour can be handled through
> 'mutable' attributes (Brad), but I'm not sure we want to go that way...

I'd like to see const correctness handled properly. The downside is the
chain of changes and mutable properties, but the upside is safer code and
better optimization by decent compilers. It's a nasty change to make, but if
we're serious about making vtk rock solid, then we should do it (and not
just for string getters).

It's not much worse for people than changing everything to double from
float - which let's face it has completely buggered all my code, but I'm
willing to work on it for the sake of progress.

JB