[vtk-developers] vtkCamera and 0.0002

Robert M.O'Bara obara at simmetrix.com
Tue Feb 24 14:36:54 EST 2004

Hi All,

vtkCamera enforces the policy that the distance between the camera
position and the focal point always be >= 0.0002.  Besides the fact
that having them be the same would be a bad thing, is there any other
justification for this?  The problem I'm seeing is that my entire scene
might fit in a sphere of radius 0.0001 which would make dollying the
camera useless.

I was wondering if this should be something that the user could set
since he/she would know the scale of the scene being looked at.

Also, when this limit is violated the behavior is to move the focal
point so the distance is 0.0002, perhaps a better thing to do is
nothing - don't change the camera at all and perhaps in debug mode put
out message stating that happened.

Comments?

Robert M. O'Bara, MEng.
Senior Software Engineer