[vtk-developers] VTK Deprecation Syntax

David C. Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Mon Dec 20 15:35:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 12:01, Brad King wrote:
> Due to the significant changes to VTK since 4.4 there is a need to
> deprecate methods in several VTK classes.  In the past this has been
> done with a VTK_LEGACY_MACRO ...
> This approach has several problems. ...
> I suggest the following syntax as a replacement: ...
> This will allow compile-time deprecation warnings on some compilers and
> allow the method to be removed if VTK_REMOVE_LEGACY_CODE is defined....
>
> Comments?
Not so much a comment as a tangential question... Is a method supposed
to go through a period (at least one formal VTK release) where it is
deprecated but defined before being marked as a legacy method? For
example, I've documented vtkMeshQuality::SetRatio() as a deprecated
method, but no VTK release has been made since this change. Should I
wait until 5.2 to put this method in a VTK_LEGACY_METHOD macro, or make
the change for 5.0?

	David