[vtk-developers] reading and writing to non-files

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Dec 15 15:00:23 EST 2004

Michael Halle wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Brad King wrote:
>> We do have plans to support streaming data over network sockets using
>> the XML writers but this support is not high priority right now.
>
> What about readers?  I would think that reading from a
> string would be somewhere more used than writing
> (use case:  reading from an HTTP or FTP connection,
> but not needing to write back to it).   A reader's
> data bounds are also known ahead of time.

This is probably not too hard, but I'd rather not create an asymmetric
interface for readers versus writers.  Your use case will be supported
by the network support eventually anyway and I don't want to have to
maintain the string-based interface.  For now you can get away with
transmitting the file yourself and writing it to a temp location for
reading.

-Brad