[vtk-developers] Re: Distributing GL2PS as part of VTK.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Oct 20 13:50:48 EDT 2003

Hi Christophe,

    CG> Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
    >> I recently added a vtkGL2PSExporter to VTK
    >> (http://www.vtk.org).  I have been thinking about adding GL2PS
[snip]
    >> Anyway, the issue with including GL2PS inside VTK is the
    >> license.  VTK is distributed under a BSD-like license.  If we
[snip]

I suspect that Christophe's message is being held for moderation so
here is his reply to us.

    CG> Guys - I don't plan to release GL2PS under a BSD-like license,
    CG> but I would have no problem adding an exception to the LGPL to
    CG> allow for static linking. This would allow VTK users to
    CG> develop completely closed-source software including GL2PS,
    CG> provided that GL2PS is not modified.

    CG> This is the fair (IMHO) compromise adopted by the FLTK folks
    CG> (http://www.fltk.org), which permits to use the library the
    CG> way you want (even for proprietary projects) but still
    CG> requires people to contribute their changes if they want to
    CG> distribute code based on *modified* versions.

    CG> Tell me what you think...

I think that sounds great!  However, I would like confirmation from
the other developers if this is OK.  If the general consensus is that
this is OK, I'll wait for the next gl2ps release (for the new license)
and include gl2ps into VTK.

Many thanks for offering to change the license!

regards,
prabhu